- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup lard or bacon grease
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups plain cornmeal (not self-rising)
- 1 cup unbleached plain flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup sumac berries, opt. (or chopped raisins or currants)
Melt the peanut butter and lard together in large stainless steel pot; set off from heat. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Press into 1/2 cup measuring cup and turn onto cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm. Store in container in refrigerator. Makes a dozen cakes. Lure bluebirds, cardinals, mockingbirds, wrens, nuthatches and woodpeckers (all of them!) with this high fuel tas'te treat. The sumac berries add color and the bluebirds love it!